Friday, January 27, 2012

A Second Tour of Duty

 Having the chance to volunteer as part of the Jordan Project at the Amman Baccalaureate School in Jordan for one year was amazing, but being able to come back for a second year is a privilege. There have been many volunteers serve as part of the Jordan Project however there have been very few stay for two years. I have had many wonderful experiences, amazing adventures, and phenomenal growth opportunities.

This year I'm the Creativity, Action, & Service (CAS) Coordinator for the Diploma College and the Yearbook Manager. The CAS program is a part of the curriculum where students have to participate in activities in each of the three areas mentioned above and meet specific learning outcomes. As the CAS Coordinator I am responsible to make sure the students in grades 11 and 12 are meeting the requirements. To help the students meet the requirements I arrange service activities outside of school hours for them to participate in. The activities that have been organized so far are painting a public school outside Amman, ushering at a local bazaar, and working with Save the Children's anemia campaign. Additionally, we offer a selection of classes for students to participate in during the school day, once a week. As the Yearbook Manager I am responsible for creating a masterpiece of memories from the year for each student. A team of students from grades 8-11 works with me to help select photos, designs, and
provide input. 

Life during my second year here has been an ongoing voyage and I’m looking forward to the months to come. Since my return from my visit home this summer I’ve traveled around Jordan some more, went back to the States, and visited friends in Doha with a day tour of Dubai. We had a visit from Mr. & Mrs. Horchak last week and explored some amazing places in Jordan. In February I will be visiting London with Jessica, March will bring friends from the US for a visit, April brings more visitors and hopefully a visit to Turkey, and then the home stretch with a trip to Africa before heading home in July! Many more experience to come at school, in Jordan, and with the project over the next 6 months or so.

~ Until Next Time
Stella

No comments:

Post a Comment