Tuesday, February 21, 2012

Polka Dots and Fairy Tales

I’ve been asked by many Jordanians if this is my first time to Jordan, and I reply that it is not, but it is my first time living here.  Then the other person will nod, understanding that coming to Jordan as a tourist is much different than living here.  It was partly that experience of travelling to Jordan in 2008 that made me consider returning for a full school year with the Jordan Project. 

After I was accepted to volunteer with the project, I learned that I would be teaching at the Amman Baccalaureate School (ABS) in the Kindergarten (KG).  Having taught Kindergarten for the past four years, I was eager to see what the KG at ABS would be like.  I have learned that no matter where you are in the world, kids are kids!  They are excited about learning and are eager to ask questions and love to have fun.  The teachers have all been so welcoming and I am enjoying getting to know them better, as well as learning from each other while we plan lessons and discuss curriculum and other educational topics.  The teachers, of course, love to have fun too.  We recently all dressed up for the 100th Day of School (I colored 100 polka dots on my shirt!) and for our current unit of study, Once Upon a Time, which focuses on literature, elements in a story, and different ways to express stories.  Each classroom was a different fairy tale theme and the teachers decorated the rooms and wore costumes according to the story we were telling that day. 


But ABS is only one part of Jordan.  Recently, Stella and I had the opportunity to visit another part of Amman – an all-girls school at the United Nations Relief and Works Agency (UNRWA) refugee camp.  We were given a tour of the school and were able to sit in on one of the English Writing classes.  The girls were all so eager to learn and participate, so attentive, and very respectful.  I remember going in to one classroom during our tour and the girls would all encourage each other by clapping when someone spoke their English sentences correctly in front of the class (and the visitors).  The girls would smile at us when we would come in to the room and they all, including the teachers, made us feel so welcome.  It was clear that the girls appreciated and were grateful for the education they were receiving.


We are a little over half-way through our journey here in Jordan, and I am sure there will be many more exciting opportunities along the way! 


Until next time,

Jessica

1 comment:

  1. Looks like fun in the KG :) You seem to have a really good team to work with! I'm also glad you got to visit one of the UNRWA camps...it's definitely an experience! Thanks for sharing the photos!

    ReplyDelete